Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sunrise, Sunset

I pretty much steer clear of painting sunrises or sunsets. I figure God does such a great job at them, why  even attempt to re-create something already done so well by the Master? This month though our challenge group chose the sun as our topic so I've been well.... challenged!


For this painting, I used a method I learned from a London based artist, Stephen Brown. He mixes up a big batch of the sky color and then introduces that into every other color he uses in a painting. The thinking is that it gives the painting unity. After all, the sky color does reflect in to everything on earth. No?

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm a HUGE sunset fan, have been since I was a kid... it's just a magic time of day! You did a great job here - funny you should talk about the 'sky' in everything - that's one thing I remember from my class with Ellen Whalen... it has stuck with me all this time! So true! What I think you did so WELL at with this painting is the grayed blue around the sun, and the hint of pink surrounding the yellow. It really makes it sing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kelley. However, I've never heard about adding sky color to every mix to achieve harmony - great idea and I am going to try it next time I paint outside (which won't be until this awful heat subsides!). I think it's wonderful - this blogging thing - I learn something new almost every day!

    ReplyDelete