Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Golf and Painting

Here are two more for the Golf Course Series.
This was such a pleasant departure for me. 


I'm thinking about taking up golf again. 
I put it on hold when I started painting full time and miss it.  
In fact, here is the "artist statement" I wrote 
for my very first show
on April 12, 2001!  

 Painting is a lot like playing golf.
·      It is a discipline.
·      You have to work very hard at it to make any progress.
·      The more you practice, the better you get.
·      Every time you go out, you plan to be better than the last time.
·      You can have a string of really bad days where nothing works at all.
·      You think about quitting. Often.
·      Then, one day, you go out and everything clicks and you really “hit it”.
·      Then you’re hooked all over again and you can’t wait to get back at it.

The work in this show represents 
some of my best “shots” at a game that 
confounds me, 
excites me, 
and fascinates me every day. 
I hope to be playing this for the rest of my life.








3 comments:

  1. I've often considered the connection of painting to golf in that both can be "play" but requiring sharp concentration which can result in frustration, or joy....I stuck with painting...golf, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I FORGOT you wrote that - and it's so true! And you could certainly combine your love of golf with the stunning visual scenes on the courses - play all over the place and get different views! Cool!

    ReplyDelete