Monday, August 20, 2012

Staycation Over

I am back from my staycation.
I took last week "off from work" and just  
allowed myself time to enjoy all the other things life has to offer!
At home!

I did a lot of reading about painting,
and want to share  
Mitchell Albala's (Landscape Painting)
ideas on the issue I always struggle with.
How to translate the spontaneous and expressive 
brushwork of small works into larger studio pieces.

He says:  
"Larger time consuming studio paintings and plein air works are different experiences and require different approaches. Small work does things large paintings cannot, and the large painting achieves things not possible in the small. Both approaches should be respected for their differences." 

Good answer!
With that in mind,
 I just let the size and subject dictate the approach for this. 


Sea Port  
11 x 14 

Once I drew in the shapes, I put the image away,  
so I wouldn't copy it. 
I used a brand new #12 brush for the whole thing. 
Very different for me. But I like it. 
What do you think? 
Here is the image I used. 
(I took it in Greenport, Long Island early this summer.) 



No comments:

Post a Comment