Friday, September 26, 2014

Correct Values

Getting the values right, to me, 
is the most important element of making strong paintings.
I had the class do some quick four value "studies" from photos yesterday. 

I gave each student this Simple Value scale as a guide.
The rule is:
Everything in shadow has to be one of the two values on the right, 
everything in light has to one of the two values on the left. 
We chose images with strong light and shadow patterns. 
It's a lot harder than than it looks! 

This gal, new to painting, nailed it on the second one,
after really looking!  


I love it when that happens! 
"Color gets all the credit, value does all the work!"





1 comment:

  1. great exercise and great results.
    I'm on the Jersey Shore and visited Franny's fabulous little Gallery/homestead today.
    Loving it here!

    ReplyDelete