Saturday, November 19, 2016

I Teach What I Want to Learn

For our last class of this semester, 
we tried something completely new.

I'm calling it the "Three Line Abstract Approach"  
borrowing from the principles of cubism.  

I've discovered that many modern painters began each painting
 by drawing three straight lines, edge to edge, 
creating a simplified foundation before applying paint. 

I set up a very large and busy still life
for us to "hone in on".



We did a few practice designs on paper first.


We chose the design we liked best, 
and transferred that to our large canvas'.


I didn't give them much direction 
and it was certainly a challenge for most of us! 
However, as always, they were troopers and 
we all learned from each other  


My phone died halfway through the class 
so I wasn't able to get many images. 
Here is a detail of the one I worked on......

And student sent me this after the fact....

If anything, it's an eye opening exercise. 
The possiblities are endless. 


It was such fun to work with this wonderful group of artists.
They were willing to try anything
and it was thrilling to see so many discoveries 
happen each week! 
I'm going to miss teaching for a few months, 
but it's time for me to get in the studio and get to work. 
Stay tuned and Happy Holidays!  




No comments:

Post a Comment